Thursday, February 19, 2009

From Stilettoes to Sports shoes

My idea of footwear revolved solely around stilettoes until I came to SCMHRD and made friends with people I made friends with. They took it upon themselves to educate me into a world where we needed to run and catch the bus everytime we went out (since most of the plans were made at the 11th hour), where I would be duped into walking for hours by convincing me that the place was just around the corner, where even if we hired a cab, we would rather walk than use the much paid for vehicle and where we would go trekking every other day.

I had to choose, either it were my stilettoes or my friends. As much as I love my babies, the decision wasnt too difficult for me. And with that one decision it was obvious that I had embarked upon what is now famous as Kashmo's commando training (thank you Aditya for coining the phrase).

And this is why I bought my first pair of sports shoes. The thing that struck me most as I slipped on my first pair was that suddenly I felt so much shorter than everyone else around me. My LOS didnt reach too far ahead because more often than not it was blocked by another person's torso (and sometimes unmentionable body parts in case of extremely tall people, damn you tall people!). The feeling was even more unsettling when I had to watch an entire rock concert looking at people's backs. Or the feeling of sheer helplessness when some mean friend (damn you mean friend!) of mine would want me to hi-five him where I couldnt reach his hands.

But my feet, oh god my feet, they begged to differ, they discovered a feeling previously unknown to them, I think people call it comfort. It is what I call 'Feet Nirvana', they felt at home (and nothing less than, like a couple of poodles lazing around in a Beverly hills Penthouse) . Naah, I wasnt complaining about walking, trekkin, not using a cab or running after the bus anymore (ok, truth be told- I still complain about the running after the bus bit) on the contrary I enjoyed every minute of the outdoor action. My friends werent complaining either. Kudos to them for having successfully converted a pathological stilettoe shopper into a Sneaker-loving-gal.

I am pretty certain that they were happy, infact a little proud of me everytime I said - 'Let's walk'.

The only downside as I see, of getting too comfy in those sports shoes is the fact that now I want to wear them with my cocktail dresses as well !!

3 comments: